This class will cover the science about how stress and traumatic experiences negatively impact our brain function and our health by causing most of the common chronic diseases of today. It specifically covers the science that is showing us that stress turns off the prefrontal cortex.
The prefrontal cortex is vital for one’s intelligence, movement control, pain processing, mental health, immune system and inflammation (thus most chronic diseases)! The prefrontal cortex makes you who you are, thus stress changes you in a major way. This class also covers how to recognize chronic stress.
- What happens in the brain when a person experiences stress
- How stress shuts off the prefrontal cortex and heightens the limbic brain
- Summarise the changes known to occur after stress
- Identify what a traumatic experience is and the detrimental health effects that can occur
- Recognise chronic stress symptoms
- The important role the prefrontal cortex plays in endocrine function, immune function, inflammation levels and emotional control and mental health
This is really relevant to us chiropractors since we know we can impact the processing of the prefrontal cortex when we adjust subluxations.